The One-Legged Sandpiper

Thursday, February 25, 1999
Friday, February 26, 1999

Number Thirteen

Special Report
The big snow storm

"Knee deep (in snow) and just a little behind"


Snow blankets Hooterville, no big deal.

Power out briefly.

Water out over night.

Joiner on the move.

Millennium Falcon overheats.

Oil delivery arrives as snow stops.

Lumber dryer suffers storm damage.


Thursday: Windy and cold. 4 inches of snow on the ground at 7:00 in the morning and falling at about and inch an hour until stopping for an hour as it got dark. Flurries resumed around 7:00 PM and continued until Friday morning adding another four to five inches.
Friday: Gray and cloudy with the last of the flurries ending. By 10:00 the sun was out and melting snow at a great rate. Very windy and clear. Gusts that rattle the conduit stored on one of the storage racks in the shop.


The morning started with the city water off again and a brief power outage for unknown reasons. Both situations lasted just minutes.
Marley enjoyed playing in the snow that blew in under the weather stripping on the door. Winds supposedly gusted to 60 mph last night.

An early Thursday morning view of the yard. Time to brush the snow off of the vents to the lumber dryer and close it up. No point in letting snow cover the wood and melt, getting everything wet.

A little snow on the tracks.

Seems like bringing in wood Wednesday night would have made more sense. This is the dismal fire wood situation Thursday morning, as the snow piles up.

Unpleasant looking trek to the shed.

Four trips with the big wheelbarrow and the rack is overflowing onto the floor. This should last until the snow melts. Notice plenty of gloves, boots and flannel shirts drying around the stove. There's nothing nicer then putting on hot boots to go out in the snow.

Still no sign of the Oil delivery. Time to go to town for more diesel just in case. This is route 12 heading south out of Attawaugan. The trip is normally 4 minutes, it took 20 this morning. A quick stop at Tillinghast Hardware to get bolts for the table saw power feed, cash machine for cash, diesel, Air in the truck tires and what the heck, might as well pick up some supplies, just in case. Nothing was plowed yet, but most everyone was staying off the road. School was canceled so there wasn't any busses to back things up, just snow, snow, and more snow.

After an unplanned 2 hour trip to town, the yard now looks like this. Notice how the tracks are now hidden. Not bad for two hours.

This is the lumber dryer first thing Friday. Quite a snow load for plastic sheeting.

By 10:00 the sun was out and TK was enjoying a nap in the window. By noon, after an adjustment at the Chiropractor, the temperature in the shop had reached sixty and the sun was beating in the windows making for a very pleasant afternoon.

Time to head into the shop and assemble some fake I-beams. These will hold up the overhang of the promenade deck. They're not really structural, more decorative, keeping the old ocean liner motif in mind.

Time to do a little maintenance on the Millennium Falcon. Could be a leak, or a faulty thermostat or crud in the radiator or all of the above.

Time to open the lumber dryer vent again now that the storm is over.

Best to shovel the woodshed out now before everything freezes up and it takes an ax to chop through the ice to get the door open. No sun ever hits this side of the shed.

A suspicious looking sag in the lumber dryer roof. Two of them actually.

Both layers collapsed from the weight of the wet snow. At least one needs to be fixed right away to keep melt water off the wood. One good soaking can negate 2 weeks of drying time. The roof needed to be shoveled off to prevent further damage. Time to look into some green house quality plastic.

Caught in the act. TK editing this issue with her butt.

A little more shop time with natural light before sunset. The curved I-Beams require a little more finesse to assemble.

Gotta stand 'em up where they're going to see how they look. The curves allow the in feed table to pass underneath to receive wood from the window pass-through.

And so ends the storm of the winter at least (so far).

Storm Of The Century Lamb*

Give them this and they'll go away.
(But not 'till it's gone)


> 4 or 5 lb. lamb leg, left whole
> 1 cup flour
> 1/2 TBS black pepper
> oil
> 1 bag of dried peas
> 3 cans chicken broth
> 2 big onions, chopped
> 4 carrots, cut in 2" pieces
> 4 ribs celery, cut in 2" pieces
> 2 tomatoes, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. rosemary (no more than that)
> white wine
> 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped


1) Shake the lamb leg in a paper bag with the flour and pepper.
2) Brown the lamb in hot oil until very brown.
3) Put the peas and broth into the crock pot.
4) Put the lamb on top, and surround it with all the other ingredients except parsley.
5) Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
6) Add the parsley for the last hour of cooking.

Excellent served with DK Garlic, Parsley and Chive Mashed Potatoes, and DK Green Beans With Just The Right Amount Of Balsamic Vinegar.

All recipes original unless otherwise noted.

*Adapted from Lamb Shanks With Dried Peas in Crockery Cooking by Irena Chalmers, 1975 Potpourri Press

The "Piper" is brought to you courtesy of
Adirondack Style Outdoor Furniture.
For None of your furniture needs ... yet.